Re: mathematica tutor for NYC high school student

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100651] Re: mathematica tutor for NYC high school student
  • From: Mike <autodidacter at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 05:34:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 7, 11:45 pm, "VMCM1905" <VMCM1... at gmail.com> wrote:
> <hlalv... at aol.com> wrote in messagenews:h0fvja$ra0$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> > Hello
>
> > We are wondering if you can help us with this.
>
> > We live in Manhattan (NYC) and are seriously considering withdrawing
> > our 15 yr old son (presently in 9th grade) from the school system and
> > give him homeschooling that is creative, adventurous and
> > non-competing.
>
> 2 out of three is good. He will need some competitiveness, it will help
> drive him.
> The more you son learns, the more confidence he will attain.
> Home schooling is good for some things, but terrible for others.
> Try instead to get your child into a better school district. If money is
> tight or that option is not available, the supplement his education
> yourself.
> Go to a nearby university and ask a professor there if he may audit a
> course. Most professors will be glad to accept him if he will not cause
> trouble.
>
> > Naturally, for Math we are thinking of Mathematica so all his high
> > school
> > math curriculum can be done visually but with mathematical rigor.
>
> Depending on the level he is at, shelve Mathematica for a while. Let him
> grind the math by hand. Some explorations are augmented by mathmatica,
> but only in later stages after one has learned the fundamentals.
> You don't want him to be someone who has to "go to the computer" when it
> comes time to integrate and simplify an expression.
>
> > Question: Do you know some group/program/person in NYC so we can find
> > Mathematica tutor for our son so he gets excited about the
> > inherent beauty of Math and covers the basic knowledge he needs ?
>
> Your son needs to attain the exitement of math through his expereince
> with people that he innitiates. Don't rely on others to "get him
> exited."
> The best thing you can do is expose him to math indirectly. Talk with
> him about your experiences with math. Get lots of good PBS and discovery
> channel programs on math and science.
>
> > He needs to cover Geometry, Trig, Algebra and Calculus at the high
> > school level (grades 9-12).
>
> > It is a long shot, but I am placed in Architecture and need to look
> > outside my field for guidance. So the web becomes my first stop. At
> > some point I will walk over to Courant Inst and see if they can help.
>
> > Best regards
>
> > Prof. H. Lalvani, PhD
>
> If you are a prof at a university or college, you can have your son
> audit courses.

I agree totally. Homeschooling is something I wish my parents did not
put me through. The social interaction would have been nice (in some
cases).
As for auditing classes, that is a great way to learn things!
I had a chance to learn college level algebra by sitting in on a
class. Calculus I and II were done with some books I found in a throw
out bin on campus, but I did take calculus III by sitting in on a
class at a local college.
And odd as it may seem, being inspired about math may come from
unexpected sources.
Mine came from a combination of watching a show called Numb3rs, and
reading Jurassic Park.

Good luck.