Re: Re: "Parallelize" and Symbolic computation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100656] Re: [mg100636] Re: "Parallelize" and Symbolic computation
  • From: "John Hattersley" <john at jhattersley.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:09:53 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for your replies gents.

Jens, I'm not sure I agree with your statements; whilst parallel computing
does introduce over head, in terms of process communication, depending on
how the problem is split, multiple machines should surely offer increased
resource for memory and CPU.  Returning the result to a single process is an
interesting problem though, but without knowing how the Parallel arch works
in Mathematica I've really no idea.  This is however a little to abstract
for me.

The documentation of parallelize says expressions like
"Parallelize[Integrate[1/(x - 1), x]]" cannot be 'parallelized', so I'm
guessing "D[]" is also out.

David, the 64-bit isn't an approach I can use at the moment due to
licensing, but I'll try and break down the problem, see if the group can
point out the error of my ways.

Essentially, I've a system of ODEs (12 states in all) I'm only observing
(measuring) a single state so have a single output (y(t)) that I'd like to
produce a Taylor series expansion of (for those that are interested I'm
trying to determine the identifiability of the system parameters)

My normal way of getting the Taylor series co-effs is brute force, e.g.
given a system

	S1'[t_]:=-p2*S1[t]*S2[t]+p1*S1[t] ...
	S2'[t_]:= p2*S1[t]*S2[t]-p2*S1[t] ...
	Send'[t] := -k7*Send[t]*S1[t] ...

Define the output

	y[t_] := {Send[t]}

Then trundle along getting the derivatives

	y[0]
	yDer=D[y[t],t]
	yDer2=D[yDer,t]

For the problem I'm currently working with, the 12 state-system, this runs
out of memory by the 5th Taylor series coeff and I need a few more.

I hope this makes sense, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
John