Re: Re: Re: Extracting contour values from

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100838] Re: [mg100834] Re: [mg100808] Re: Extracting contour values from
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Curtis,

The solution provided by Yan Zhuang was embarrassingly easy to
implement, use MaxRecursion:-

ContourPlot[Cos[x*y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi}, MaxRecursion -> 6]

 >>You could try to use MaxRecursion option for ContourPlot.  I have
attached
 >>a notebook to show the result.

 >>Sincerely,

 >>Ms. Yan Zhuang, Ph.D.
 >>Technical Support
 >>Wolfram Research, Inc.

It is intriguing to note that you really do need the value of
MaxRecursion >5 to erase this ContourPlot "artifact"!

Also with MaxRecursion -> {0,1} the plot is different than without the
option! Try:-

Table[ContourPlot[Cos[x*y], {x, -Pi, Pi}, {y, -Pi, Pi},  MaxRecursion -
 > i], {i, 0,6,1}]

Also:

WorkingPrecision-> n (where n<1000) does not affect the result.

Neither does PerformanceGoal -> "Quality".

My thanks to Yan for a prompt and precise solution.

I suggest however that in the interests of continuous improvement of
the Mathematica I love that whatever is causing this behaviour is
fixed in a future release.

Cheers ... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 7.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (18th February 2009)
MacOS X V 10.5.6
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM