Re: Time for an integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100882] Re: Time for an integration
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:37:10 -0400 (EDT)

On 6/16/09 at 9:51 PM, boo_00_07 at hotmail.com (Lena) wrote:

>I have an integral to perform 4096 times: it is a 3dimensionnal
>integral over a matrix of 4096.4096 points.

>It takes many hours and I still does not have the result. I made a
>loop with NIntegrate.

>Is it possible that an integration loop in mathematica takes so long
>?

Yes. It is not at all difficult to create integrals with a
single dimension take a long time to compute. And certainly even
a relatively simple integrand will take longer with more dimensions.

>Is there any ways to improve it ?

Quite possibly it can be improved. But there is no way to offer
specific suggestions or even know if this is the case without
details of the integral being computed.