Re: Hilbert transform bug in 7.0.3?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100878] Re: Hilbert transform bug in 7.0.3?
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:36:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Nacho,

your problem comes from the fact that you are using PrincipalValue ->

True together with DiracDelta. Consider the simplest case:

Integrate[DiracDelta[x], {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Integrate[DiracDelta[x], {x, -Infinity, Infinity},PrincipalValue -> True]

The first integral gives 1 in agreement with the definition of

DiracDelta. The second integral is actually a limit of two integrals.

One from -Infinity to epsilon. The second from epsilon to Infinity. For

epsilon > 0 both integrals are zero. Therefore, the limit is also zero.

Daniel