Slow performance gathering property data from fitted objects

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101013] Slow performance gathering property data from fitted objects
  • From: Todd Allen <genesplicer28 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:03:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

   During some recent research I asked Mathematica to calculate 70,000 simple linear regression fits to 70,000 small datasets.  This worked well and resulted in a list of 70,000 fitted model objects being finished in under 5 minutes.

  My next step was to collect the RSquared property for each of the 70,000 fits contained in the list, and Mathematica took over 3 hours to accomplish this.  This seems horrendously slow simply to gather values from a list.  Has anyone ran into a similar problem?  Any suggestions how I might be able to significantly speed the gathering of properties from large lists of fitted model objects?

  The snippet of code I was using to gather the RSquared values is below:

piedlrRsquared =
  Table[piedlrmodels[[i]]["RSquared"], {i, 1, Length[piedlrmodels]}] //
    Timing;

   Thanks for any advice you might have!

Todd