Re: Two questions about modification of a matrix.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101072] Re: Two questions about modification of a matrix.
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:06:16 -0400 (EDT)

There must be 100s of ways to do this. Here's my version:

n = 5;
m = RandomReal[{-5, 5}, {n, n}]

1: MapIndexed[If[Times @@ #2 > n, 0, #1] &, m, {2}]

2: Map[If[# < 0, 0, #] &, m, {2}]

A slightly more beginner-friendly formatted version of 1 would be:
MapIndexed[
 Function[{entry, indices},   If[Apply[Times, indices] > n, 0,
entry] ], m, {2}]

Cheers -- Sjoerd