Design choice for Printout Screen Environment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97009] Design choice for Printout Screen Environment
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 05:20:30 -0500 (EST)

When Printing the default Screen Environment is "Printout".  I have
always been puzzled about the design choice for one setting for this
environment.  This is that the Magnification is set to 0.8.  Hence,
printing of, for example, a Text cell in 10 point type, is rendered on
the printed page as effective 8 point type.

I cannot think of any sensible reason for this design choice (and I am
very often having to fix this for people who want to see as Printed
what they set up in their working notebook, which is usually worked
with on the screen in the Working environment.

It is, of course, easy to change this by editing the stylesheet...
but it seems a very non intuitive design choice....

Thoughts?

--David