Re: Do Hershey Vector Fonts exist in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97012] Re: Do Hershey Vector Fonts exist in Mathematica?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 05:21:04 -0500 (EST)

On 3/1/09 at 4:54 AM, hayes.tyler at gmail.com wrote:

>Just wondering if the Hershey Vector Fonts (in particular the
>SIMPLEX Roman ones) are available for use with Mathematica. I know,
>they are ugly, primitive looking etc., however, I'm not ashamed to
>admit I love the look of them for text on plots. Can't explain it
>really. Perhaps it's because I was used to using them with old
>school plotting calls from Fortran using DISLIN and have grown
>rather fond of them. If you do not know what they look like, they
>are posted here:

>http://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/idl_html_help/
>Hershey_Vector_Font_Samples.html

There is a package available that implements Hershey Fonts. See

<http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/196/>

I modified this package for my own use with versions 3.x and 4.x
of Mathematica. But, I've not used it since version 5 was
released that corrected a problem with font rendering on Macs.
Consequently, I don't know how well it will play with versions 6
and 7. I suspect (given the changes in the way graphics are done
in version 6) you will need to update some of the code to
achieve what you want.