Re: "Do What I Mean" - a suggestion for improving

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97040] Re: "Do What I Mean" - a suggestion for improving
  • From: Sebastian Meznaric <meznaric at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 05:57:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 1, 9:56 am, David Bakin <david... at gmail.com> wrote:
> DrMajorBob,
>
> I think you're missing the point here - and actually, this is exactly the
> point that AES keeps banging on.  "It's up to a user to write what he m=
eans"
> is small comfort to a user, especially one new to Mathematica, who doesn'=
> know how to express what he means.  Not only do we see a lot of comment=
s on
> this list of the form "Why doesn't this work?" we see a lot of the form
> "I've looked and looked and I can't figure out why this doesn't work". =
 And
> [...]
> >> Mathematica
> >> that are currently available.
>
> >> Some situations that could be addressed are:
>
> >> 1.  User writes "xy" instead of "x y".  Rule could inspect the exp=
ression
> >> under evaluation and find (unevaluated) symbols like "xy" of the form
> >> symbols
> >> used in the expression or symbols bound in the environment.  Rule wo=
uld
> >> explain the problem and offer to rewrite expression and try again.
>
> >> 2.  Some expression using a user-defined function causes an error wh=
en
> >> evaluating, or doesn't evaluate.  Looking at the function, a rule fi=
nds
> >> function calls where the function arguments' patterns include "_Intege=
r"
> >> or
> >> similar but the arguments given to it are not integers.  Rule points=
> >> documentation describing argument types required by the called functio=
n.

> >> 3.  Similar to 2 above, but it finds function calls that do numeric
> >> evaluation only or are optimized for numeric evaluation but the argume=
nts
> >> given to it are symbolic.
>
> >> 4.  Result returned is machine precision very close to zero (that is=
,
> >> with large negative exponent), but an error message complained of
> >> singularity, or other ill-conditioning.  Rule points to documentatio=
> >> explaining about machine precision, and/or singularity, and offers to
> >> retry
> >> the expression with more digits of precision, rewriting the expression=
> >> achieve this.
>
> >> Actually, now that I think of it, the DWIM facility needs also to be
> >> invoked
> >> by the user because some of these situations don't cause error message=
s,
> >> but
> >> only cause (wholly or partially) unevaluated expressions.  So maybe =
the
> >> user
> >> could be trained to type a word, like "Explain[]" after he didn't get =
the
> >> result he wanted and the DWIM facility would look at the In[] and Out[=
]
> >> arrays to find out what he's been doing recently.
>
> >> I would be glad to contribute rules to the framework ... but I'm not y=
et
> >> up
> >> to writing the framework.  Hopefully one of the gurus here will find=
 this
> >> interesting (and possible) and provide a framework.  Then the rest o=
f us
> >> could contribute rules that would improve the Mathematica experience f=
or
> >> all
> >> newcomers.  (AES, I'm looking at you! :-) )

I think the framework for this already exists. It is the Mathematica's
suggestion system when opening a notebook from an older version. It
inspects every cell and it replaces the deprecated and obsolete
functions and forms with the new ones. So I think your suggestions
could be implemented similarly. I think it would be a good idea to
create a DWIM panel or so where a user selects the offending cell and
presses a button that scans the cell for standard errors. I think it's
a good idea, especially for new users who may repeat the same errors.
If this gets done, I would also suggest to add a feature that explains
the errors made to the user (by say having a button "Tell me more" or
something like that).