Re: Convolution of a Gaussian Distribution and a discontinuous function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97118] Re: Convolution of a Gaussian Distribution and a discontinuous function
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 04:58:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jens,

take a step back and look at your "conv". It is a sum over Gaussians,

the number of summands depends on ll. You have an expansions in

Gaussians, what is not the worst thing to work with. Derivatives are a

piece of cake. Integration will give error functions that are a bit more

cumbersome. But they are built into Mathematica.

If you still want another approximation, here is a rational

approximation of your example:

fun = conv /. vars /. xx -> x;

x0 = 0.5;

ap = MiniMaxApproximation[fun, {x, {-x0, x0}, 12, 12}][[2]]

Plot[{fun, ap}, {x, -x0, x0}, PlotRange -> All]

Plot[{fun - ap}, {x, -x0, x0}, PlotRange -> All]

Plot[{ap}, {x, -1, 1}, PlotRange -> All]

hope this helps, Daniel