Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97264] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 01:08:02 -0500 (EST)

ADL wrote:
> With respect to some of your points, I really believe that the worst
> thing WRI developers could do against Mathematica itself was (and is)
> to hide the bug list and the list of fixes.
> This overall gives the feeling of a substantially unreliable system.

I am not completely sure about this. I used to work for a company that
produced a Fortran compiler. For a while we maintained a bug list, but
the basic problem was that it was extremely hard to describe some bugs
without giving the impression that no program was safe!

Providing an accurate description of the scope of a bug, can often be
extremely hard.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk