Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97281] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: Peltio <peltio at twilight.zone>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:32:54 -0500 (EST)

Ingolf Dahl wrote:
> Some of these alternatives can only be considered to be free as long as you
> count your own time as free.
Free as in 'free beer', but also as in 'free speech'. As more functions
get moved into the kernel, customization becomes hard if not
unfeasible.

> To reinvent the wheel must always be considered
> as unprofessional malpractice.
Agreed. But when the student leaves school can he still afford the pro
tool? Is the company he is applying for a job willing to buy it because
he says it's good?

> Will you get ready within finite time with the task you might do
> in a week using the professional tools?
I agree with this. But what if one does not see a favorable return on
the investment?
Peltio