Re: Style for function calls?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97363] Re: Style for function calls?
  • From: Pillsy <pillsbury at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:15:14 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 6, 5:13 am, Erik Max Francis <m... at alcyone.com> wrote:

> I'm aware with the operator forms for Postfix (//), Prefix (@), and
> Infix (~), and I've found the // operator useful for piping long results
> through the ...Form functions, or N, or the like, as a quick
> afterthought while typing a lot of stuff.

There are two things I frequently find myself regularly using Infix
for, which are Join and Append. I find that

{1, 2, 3} ~Join~ {4, 5, 6}

and

{a, b, c} ~Append~ d

are clearer than the alternatives, and it's not uncommon for
functional languages to have special infix operators for joing lists
or adding individual elements at the end (or, more usually, front,
since most functional languages use singly-linked lists where Mathematica uses
vectors as the underlying list representation).

Cheers,
Pillsy