Re: opening notebooks in mathematica player instead of mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97453] Re: opening notebooks in mathematica player instead of mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:53:20 -0500 (EST)

On 3/12/09 at 2:21 AM, AdAstra69 at mac.com (Steven Matthew Anderson)
wrote:

>When I double click on a notebook I want just want to view it.  Is
>there a way to default the assigned application to open the
>mathematica notebooks with the mathematica viewer instead of having
>mathematica boot up?  If I want mathematica to boot up I'll click on
>the icon.  That's on my doc.

>I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) on a PowerBook G4 if that helps
>any.

This isn't something that can be done from Mathematica since it
is the OS that determines what app to launch when a document
icon is clicked. However, it can be done.

I can think of two ways to do this on a Mac. First, using
=46inder, select a notebook, do cmd-i to bring up the meta
information for that notebook, click on the arrow beside open
with. Once this is done, set the mathematica viewer as the
default application to use and finish by clicking on change all button.

The other approach would be to get a RCDefaultApp. This is a
freeware preference pane that allows you to set system wide
preferences for which applications launch when document icons
are clicked. It was created by Rubicode and can be obtained from
the usual sources for Mac software.