Re: Flipping axes on Graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97418] Re: [mg97391] Flipping axes on Graphics
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:46:50 -0500 (EST)

Again, I use the Presentations package so I can use the CustomTicks routine
to easily obtain major and minor ticks. We use the Mathematica Rescale
function to do the actual flipping.

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

yticks = CustomTicks[Rescale[#, {-1, 1}, {1, -1}] &, {-1., 1., .5, 5}];
Draw2D[
 {Draw[Rescale[Sin[x], {-1, 1}, {1, -1}], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]},
 AspectRatio -> 1/GoldenRatio,
 Axes -> True,
 Ticks -> {Automatic, yticks}]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: sidney at jigsaw.nl [mailto:sidney at jigsaw.nl]

Dear all,

I am looking for a way to flip the direction of an axis that is used
to render a Graphics object.

For example, I would like to be able to do Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2*Pi}]
but the top-left corner of the rendered Graphics object would
correspond to coordinate (0,-1) while the bottom-left corner would
correspond to (0, +1); effectively, the graph would need to be
mirrored in the x-axis.

I've skimmed all Graphics options and it seems the convention that
increasing x is rendered left-to-right and increasing y is rendered
bottom-to-top is hard-wired into Graphics. Would there be a clever way
to get around this?

Best regards, Sidney