Re: Re: Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97435] Re: [mg97360] Re: [mg97324] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:50:00 -0500 (EST)

Sure, there are problems with proprietary software of any kind.
Companies close, or change the direction of their products. (In my
opinion, MS would be in much better shape and useful to me if Word had
stuck with version 5.2 other than compatibility updates. ;-)

However, the important thing in mathematics are the ideas. The
Mathematica, c++, or other codes are 'just' implementations.

The hard part of any task is solving the problem. One the problem is
solved, the implementation can, in some sense, be termed trivial. Over
the years, I have had to implement the solution to the same problem
several different times, as the tools available changed -- from PDP-5s
to my MacBook Pro.

Mathematica is an efficient means. I have to write far less code than
I would implementing a solution in c. Despite minor problems with
documentation, using Mathematica has far less hassle than dealing with
a set of open source tools.

One is 'locked in' to Mathematica only if one is using the system as a
crutch: not learning how to integrate because Mathematica does it for
you or not learning how to deal with matrices. Granted, it takes time
to master any system, and 'experts' may be locked in because their job
depends on knowing the specific magic incantations for Mathematica,
but this is true for almost any job.

All of us are dependent on the kindness of strangers, even those who
just use a number 2 pencil and pad. All the books and journal articles
make it possible to solve problems without re-inventing the wheel. In
principle, software tools are essentially the same. Unlike my work in
the 1970s and 1980s, I don't have to roll my own routines or design my
own graphics.

I see no insurmountable problem with 'changing brands'. If Mathematica
disappeared tomorrow, it would take time to learn the specifics of
another system, but my knowledge of the problem and the solutions to
problems would not change.

I am reminded of the lines from a temp secretary in the movie "Dave" :
"I learned on the Wang, and they put me on the IBM. I can't do the
IBM". (This was a 1993 movie when Wang sold intelligent typewriters.)

Some people are interested in Mathematica for its own sake, just as
there are people who are interested in c++ for its own sake.

For my part, I am interested in finding out things using mathematics.
Mathematica is a wonderful tool that I use on this journey, but it is
only a tool. I can use other tools, but I cannot replace my knowledge
of mathematics, logic, chemistry, philsophy, .... Mathematica, at its
best, lets me solve problems efficiently so that I have time for my
real work.

george woodrow