Re: Maintaining a Mathematica bug list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97470] Re: Maintaining a Mathematica bug list
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 05:34:55 -0500 (EST)

ADL wrote:

> What is difficult now is to find a place where caveats (and genuine
> bugs) are collected and can be quickly searched before starting
> complex or serious activities.

This is exactly what I would find useful about this.  Presently the only
way to learn about bugs is to follow MathGroup closely, but even when I
remember that I've seen a bug (that might be relevant to me at the
moment) mentioned a couple of months ago, I cannot always find the posts
   that described it.

With tricky cases that are not bugs the situation is better, but the
best place to learn about them is still the (quite busy) MathGroup.

getsatisfaction.com is a nice site, but since it's completely open and
uncontrollable, I'm afraid that it wouldn't be any more useful than
MathGroup for this purpose:  the useful bug descriptions would still be
difficult to find in the flood of messages.