Re: Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97491] Re: [mg97448] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: David Bakin <davidbak at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 05:38:44 -0500 (EST)

Absolutely true.  I would say that the way to start "believing" a proof that
is justified by software is to replicate the results, which is what
physicists and other scientists do.  A different team in a different
laboratory using different equipment tries the same experiment.  Or,
preferably, a different experiment.

In the case of mathematical proofs, additional confidence could be gained by
using a different program.  And by different program I mean not only the
CAS, but also the code written on top of the CAS that performs the
calculation.

In any event I would think that the code that led to the proof should be
made available to anyone who wishes to check the results.  (Note that the
Climate Audit blog is full of discussion and controversy over the fact that
a lot of results used in making policy decisions in the "global warming"
debate are based on computer models where the actual computer code is not
made available to people attempting to replicate the results, so that even
if the data sets are made available, the reported results can't be
duplicated.)

I'm not saying this will lead to computer-aided proofs being believed in
general, nor am I saying that it will lead to a level of confidence that
current non-computer-aided proofs have, just that in the case of any
particular computer-aided proof a result replicated using different software
will gain credibility.