Re: Two Notebooks Open at the Same Time

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97638] Re: Two Notebooks Open at the Same Time
  • From: Januk <ggroup at sarj.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:02:33 -0500 (EST)

One needs to be careful using the "Unique to This Notebook" context
setting.  It causes some strange behaviour when using dialog boxes.
The following example from the CreateDialog help page (ref/
CreateDialog) does not work as described when using the "Unique to
This Notebook" setting.  Note that the example does work as expected
when running the notebook in the Global` context:

In[1] := CreateDialog[{TextCell["Enter a name: "],
   InputField[Dynamic[nm], String],
   DefaultButton[DialogReturn[ret = nm]]}];
In[2] := ret

Out[2] = ret

There appears to be a context issue, though running Context[] does not
reveal what the issue is:

In[3] := Context[]
In[4] := CreateDialog[{Context[]}];
Out[3] = "Notebook$$13`"

This behaviour appears in version 6 and 7.0 for Microsoft Windows (32-
bit).

Januk