Re: Fitting using a custom function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97699] Re: Fitting using a custom function
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 02:10:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

if I understand correctly, you have some  2 dim. array of experimental

values (not y[x]), call it exp. Further you have a function fun that

takes input values (your parameters) and returns an array similar to

exp. You now want to optimize the function argument.

This can be done by defining an (here least square) error function:

err[p1_,p2_,..]:= Plus@@ Flatten@ (fun[p1,p2,..]-exp)^2

Now we need to find the minimum of err using e.g. NMinimize or

FindMinimum. Here is an example:

exp = Table[2 Sin[1.1  x] + 3 Sin[0.5 y], {x, 0, 10}, {y, 0, 10}];

fun[p1_, p2_, p3_, p4_] :=

   Table[p2 Sin[p1 x] + p3 Sin[p4 y], {x, 0, 10}, {y, 0, 10}];

err[p1_, p2_, p3_, p4_] :=

   Plus @@ Flatten[(fun[p1, p2, p3, p4] - exp)^2];

res = NMinimize[err[p1, p2, p3, p4], {p1, p2, p3, p4}]

ListPlot3D[{fun[p1, p2, p3, p4] /. res[[2]], exp}]

hope this helps, Daniel