Re: Compatibility issue in Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97753] Re: Compatibility issue in Mathematica 7
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 02:42:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 18, 3:57 am, daniele <danielelin... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I've been using Mathematica 6 for a while and now I'm about to
> purchase version 7: I was wondering whether it's possible, in the
> latest version, to save a notebook which can be subsequently opened
> (and edited) with version 6. To the best of my knowledge, this was not
> possible in version 6 (saving for, say, version 5) and it's something
> that has always buggered me quite a lot, because I often have the
> necessity to exchange notebooks with people who haven't the same
> version as me.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Daniele

I don't believe there is a way to save a notebook that is version
specific from any version of Mathematica.

But, it might or might not really matter -- Well, there would be two
issues. One that is simple to overcome, is to just try and open the
newer notebook in an older version of Mathematica. I believe you will
just get a message about the notebook being created in a newer version
of Mathematica and it may not work correctly - this is the real
problem as it might be difficult or extremely difficult or impossible
to really tell for sure. But as long as you are careful about not
using routines that do not exist in the older version or version
specific syntax you should be OK - but this is hard to predict and may
be very difficult especially when going from version 7 to version 5.2,
as you would need to have a good list of all the new features and
functions in version 6 and 7.

The new documentation for version 7 does show a good list of what is
new (see online version at http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin7/?buildid=1214020
for more info or just enter into the Documentation Center search box
"guide/SummaryOfNewFeaturesIn70" and/or "guide/
SummaryOfNewFeaturesIn60" or "guide/NewIn60AlphabeticalListing" or
"guide/NewIn60CoreLanguage" ). Does anyone know if the version 6 or 5
documentation is still on the Wolfram web site, and if so where is it?
For version 5, there are PDF files containing the entire contents of
the Wolfram book that used to be available for version 5.

When you open a version 6 notebook file in version 7, I still think
you might have some issues as version 7 does some things a bit
differently. And when you open a version 5 notebook in version 6 or 7,
you automatically get the choice of trying to convert it with the
Mathematica Conversion Advisory utility that comes with both 6 and 7.

If you try and open a simple 7.0 notebook in 5.2 I think you get the
expected message about this notebook being created in a newer version
of Mathematica and tells you to upgrade, but not sure what would
happen (other than not working of course) if your notebook had some
version 7 specific function references

-Bob