Re: Bug in D (or Derivative) ( Was: Re: DSolve bug)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97941] Re: [mg97919] Bug in D (or Derivative) ( Was: Re: DSolve bug)
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:21:28 -0500 (EST)
On 25 Mar 2009, at 14:40, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On 25 Mar 2009, at 11:46, schochet123 at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> The source of this bug seems to be the following bug in in D (or
>> Derivative): According to Mathematica, D[u',u] yields u''. However,
>> the correct answer is u''/u'
>> (Homework for Calculus 1: use the chain rule to prove this.)
>
> Not really. According to Mathematica's notion of derivative, D[u',u]
> ought to be 0, since u' does not involve u explicitly.

Actually, I was wrong here since, of course, u' is Derivative[1][u]
and this does involve u explicitly. Of course in this case
D[Derivative[1][u],u] does not make any mathematical sense (unless we
wanted this to mean the derivative in some functional sense, but then
what Mathematica does with it makes no sense anyway). This:

D[derivative[1][u], u]
Derivative[1][derivative[1]][u]

does make sense, as long as derivative is undefined, but this:

  % /. derivative -> Derivative
Derivative[2][u]

doesn't.
Still, for Mathematica to  be consistent and still make mathematical
sense,  D[u',u] ought to return 0, as it in the example below.

Andrzej Kozlowski