pdf export problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97990] pdf export problem
  • From: David Elbert <elbert at jhu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:35:58 -0500 (EST)

Hello All-

I have been having problems exporting notebooks to pdf and was hoping
someone might have some insight.  I submitted a support request to
Wolfram, but have not heard back.

Quick background:  Mathematica 7.0.0; Macintosh Front End (OS X Leopard 10.5.6).

Quick summary:  I am writing "handouts" for distribution in a math/
stats class.  Some characters disappear when converting to pdf.
Example that has been vexing me lately is the less-than-or-equal-to
sign (unicode character 2264, I think).  I just get blank spaces in
its place.

My theories (obviously wrong or I wouldn't be here asking!):  I
thought it was a problem with font installations, but I have tried
different fonts without success.  I also have noted that the problem
occurs when the cells are "text" style, but goes away if I make the
cell "equation" style.  I can't decide if there is a problem in the
style definitions, a bug that improperly defines fonts (and/or misses
embedding) into pdf, or something to do with "high" unicode characters.

Apologies if my perusal of the archives has missed another discussion
of this issue, but thanks to anyone who can offer any insight or
help.  I thought such font problems were well in my past, but no such
luck.

Thanks-

David

David Elbert
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences &
Environmental Science and Policy Program
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles St
Baltimore, MD 21218

elbert at jhu.edu