Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97993] Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:36:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

consider the function myTest[]

defined as follows

SetAttributes[myTest, HoldAll]
myTest[funs : {__}, {x_Symbol, x0_?NumericQ,
    x1_?NumericQ}] := "List of functions."

myTest[fun_, {x_Symbol, x0_?NumericQ,
    x1_?NumericQ}] := "Single function."

and what may come out from

{myTest[{x, Sin[x], Cos[x]}, {x, 0, Pi}],
  myTest[Table[Cos[k*x], {k, 3}], {x, 0, Pi}],
  myTest[Evaluate[Table[Cos[k*x], {k, 3}]], {x, 0, Pi}]}

as expected you get

{"List of functions.", "Single function", "List of functions."}

and this is so, because the patterns are defined in that way.
And as you have noticed, the myTest[] function behave in the
same way as Plot[] does.

Regards
   Jens