Grid Mathematica 7 Idle Kernel Timeout

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98034] Grid Mathematica 7 Idle Kernel Timeout
  • From: Raffy <raffy at mac.com>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 05:44:24 -0500 (EST)

I just finished upgrading our Grid Mathematica cluster from 6 to 7
today.  I've been doing calculations that take about 12 hours per
kernel for the last few months, so the switch from 8 to 20 kernels is
a welcomed improvement.

However, I'm having a problem keeping my slaves connected: there
appears to be an idle timeout and it causes the slaves to disconnect.
I have all the settings possible for timeout set to 0 (indefinite).
The problem is fixed by occasionally printing status information back
to the master notebook.  Prior to the upgrade, I'd connect the slaves
on launch and have them active without disconnect for weeks at a time.