Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98071] Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 02:46:41 -0500 (EST)

On 3/28/09 at 5:43 AM, max at alcyone.com (Erik Max Francis) wrote:

>Thanks to you and everyone who responded.  I do understand the HoldAll
>attribute and why Plot is doing what it's doing.

>I fully understand why the HoldAll attribute is generally useful and
>why it's used here, but I still don't see why it doesn't make sense
>for Plot to recognize a list as an actual list and plot each with a
>different color.

Plot does this when the argument provided is a list, That is

Plot[{x,x^2},{x,0,1}]

will plot two curves in two different colors. But

Plot[Table[x^n,{n,2}],{x,0,1}]

will plot two curves with one color.

>Shouldn't it be manually evaluating its argument,
>then plotting with different colors if it ends up with a list?

You start by saying you understand the HoldAll attribute, why it
is useful and why Plot is doing what it is doing. Yet, you ask a
question here that implies you don't understand these things.
What answer are you looking for here?