Re: Two versions on the same system

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98141] Re: [mg98058] Two versions on the same system
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:18:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 02:44:16 -0500 (EST), A. B. wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> Is it possible to run different versions of Mathematica on the same
> machine
> ? I noticed that there is only one user and one global folders where all
> preferences, etc. are stored. Aren't the preferences files for different
> versions likely to conflict or get corrupted ?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> A. Berkani

Actually, they do a very good job of not getting corrupted or causing conflicts.
This was considered in the design.  And it means that you don't have to
reinstall all of your applications at every new version release.

In the matter of preferences, though, you can choose to fork the preferences on
a per-version basis by using the Option Inspector to set the
VersionedPreferences option to True at the global scope.  This will force
separate preferences files for every major version (but not the minor ones, like
7.0.0 vs. 7.0.1).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com