Re: Importing data with comma as decimal separator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98130] Re: Importing data with comma as decimal separator
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:16:47 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 30, 3:37 am, Dom <Domagoj.Pavi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to import two-column numerical data in which comma is
> used as decimal separator. The first 12 lines of the file is header,
> followed by two tab-separated columns of numbers.
> How I can do this in Mathematica 6.0?
> Thanks.

You might try something like this:

str = OpenRead["testcomma.txt"];
Read[str, {Record, Record, Record, Record, Record, Record, Record,
Record, Record, Record, Record, Record}];
datac = ReadList[
   str, {Number, Character, Number, Character, Number, Character,
    Number}];
Close[str];
For[j = 1, j < Length[datac] + 1, j++, {
  a = Part[datac[[j]], 1];
  b = Part[datac[[j]], 3];
  c = Part[datac[[j]], 5];
  d = Part[datac[[j]], 7];
  xx[j] = a + b/(10.^(StringLength[ToString[b]])),
  yy[j] = c + d/(10.^(StringLength[ToString[d]]));
  }]

This assumes the data file has 12 records/lines to ignore, then an
indeterminate amount of data records that have the form (the white
space is a TAB character, ASCII 009)

xxxx,yyyy     xxxxxxx,yyy

and you wanted the data to look like

xxxx.yyyy     xxxxxxx.yyy

I am sure there are lots of ways to do this, so take this into
consideration, when you get 10 different suggestions. HTH.

-Bob