Re: Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98152] Re: [mg98104] Re: What's going on here (Table-generated lists)?
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 04:20:53 -0500 (EST)

It's not entirely unavoidable, but there are cases where it's almost so.

For instance,

Plot[x /. Solve[x^3 - x^2 + b x + 1 == 0, x], {b, -5, 5}]

For different b values there are 1, 2, or 3 solutions. Colors COULD be
assigned after the points are calculated, but what colors should be used,
and where?

Or look at the colors in the evaluated version:

Plot[x /. Solve[x^3 - x^2 + b x + 1 == 0, x]//Evaluate, {b, -5, 5}]

Bobby

DrMajorBob at bigfoot.com