Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99326] Re: New Wolfram Tutorial Collection documentation is ready
  • From: mike.honeychurch at gmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 05:19:12 -0400 (EDT)

On May 2, 5:07 am, Thomas Muench <thomas.mue... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Bob,
>
> it gets even better: There is also an option "Reduce size" in Acrobat.
> That reduces the size of the "Visualizatio and Graphics" to under
> 4MB!!!!. What happens there is that the graphics become downsamples
> and less crisp. That is visible upon printout, but not disturbingly so
> if you don't compare it directly to the original. For on-screen
> viewing it is perfectly fine. So, if Wolfram would maybe offer 2
> options for pdf download - low quality (for screen) and high quality
> (for printout) - that would even be more user friendly.
>
> Best, thomas
>
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Bob F <deepyog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On May 1, 3:24 am, Thomas M=FCnch <thomas.mue... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I downloaded all of the PDFs, and it took a very long time, even on my
> >> fast connection at work. My guess is that Wolfram gives these
> >> downloads less bandwidth compared to, for example, downloading
> >> software, or the curated data. But I would say that's all right.
>
> >> The largest of the files is "Visualization and graphics", which comes
> >> at almost 140MB. I opened it in Acrobat (Professional version), and
> >> simply out of curiosity removed all the Metadata and hidden
> >> information in the pdf (You can do this under the Menu item "Document>=
 E=

> xamine Document...", at least under Windows). After doing this, and
>

> >> saving the file, the size was reduced to less than 30 MB, just a bit
> >> over one fifth of the original! On first visual inspection, the two
> >> versions appear to be identical.
>
> >> This particular file contains lots of graphics, so the reduction in
> >> size might not be as large in other files, I didn't try. But anyways,
> >> this begs the question: did I remove ANY functionality by doing this?
> >> If not, it would be much nicer if Wolfram could place PDFs of reduced
> >> size for download on their website.
>
> >> thomas
>
> > I tried what you did for all the files and the total size for all 23
> > files dropped from about 362 MB to about 188 MB, so this amounts to
> > about a 50% decrease in file size. Seems like quite a lot of overhead.
> > Wonder what all this extra stuff was???
>
> > -Bob

I'm pretty sure it is not removing the metadata itself that reduces
the size it is the act of saving the document after removing the
metadata that worked for you because re-saving it eliminates the
duplicate fonts. I have had this problem before when creating PDFs on
a Mac. Multiple copies of fonts get embedded and the file sizes go
through the roof. Saving/printing (with Acrobat) a second time fixes
it.

Mike