Re: interactive 3d graphic in a palette?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99334] Re: [mg99268] interactive 3d graphic in a palette?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 05:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 May 2009 05:24:06 -0400 (EDT), meitnik wrote:
> hi,
>
> I was experimenting with putting a 3d graphic as an item on a palette.
> I can see it and even see the rotate cursor, but its not interactive.
> Is there some code/options I need to get/set the interactivity am
> wanting? Anyone been able to do this? Or by definition a palette just
> wont support what am trying to do?
>
> Thanks
> andrew

This will not work in a window that acts "palette-like".  This is controlled by
the WindowClickSelect option.  On some platforms, you can make a notebook that
looks like a palette but doesn't act like a palette, if that would solve your
problem.  The relevant options...

WindowFrame (* determines what the border looks like *)
WindowFloating (* determines the floating behavior of windows *)
WindowClickSelect (* determines whether typical menu and keyboard actions
                     will work on the window *)

Note that there are some permutations of combinations which can cause problems
here.  As I recall, on Mac, you can't split apart the WindowFrame palette
setting from the WindowClickSelect palette behavior (and, in v7, neither from
WindowFloating->True, although that, as Rob pointed out yesterday, was an
unintentional bug).  Also, on all platforms, I believe, WindowFloating->True
plus WindowClickSelect->True can lead to problems.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group