Re: Remove quotes from Cell Expression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99508] Re: Remove quotes from Cell Expression
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:32:22 -0400 (EDT)

robert prince-wright wrote:
> Can someone show me how to write the list m1 to a notebook without the quotes showing?
>
> m1 = {{"a",b},{c,d}};
> nb = CreateDocument[];
> NotebookWrite[nb, Cell[ToBoxes@Grid[m1],"Text"]]
>
> The expression below gives the right result so there is something missing in my limited understanding of Cell expressions.
>
> Grid@m1

That has nothing to do with the convertion to boxes but is controlled by
Cell properties. There are two ways to achieve what you want:

1) use cells of style "Output", which will by default not show the
string characters (which is why you don't see them with Grid@m1):

NotebookWrite[nb, Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes@Grid[m1]], "Output"]]

2) stay with the "Text" style cells, but change the settings for
ShowStringCharacters:

NotebookWrite[nb,
 Cell[BoxData[ToBoxes@Grid[m1]], "Text",
  ShowStringCharacters -> False]]

Note that I have wrapped the box expression with BoxData, which was
necessary in my version to avoid an error indication for the created cell...

hth,

albert