Re: Re: Reading csv with ;

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99517] Re: [mg99493] Re: Reading csv with ;
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:34:01 -0400 (EDT)

"magic word is right".

I knew that there was an option for field separators, and it took me a
while to track it down.

In version 5.2, the option WAS "FieldSeparator" (no final 's'), but
the option was listed on the documentation page for Export, so someone
might have a chance to find it if they didn't already know about it.
(It might have been good to have the option listed on the Import doc
page, but I don't think it is there in 5.2.)

In version 7, the option appears only on the page for Table, and then
only in the examples. At least that is what a search in the
Documentation Center gives. Also it is the only place that a Google
search gives for the on-line version of the Version 7 documentation.
Spotlight does not find anything in Mathematica -- perhaps the plug-in
is broken.

This is another example of the problem with Mathematica Documentation.

It's not going to be fixed with PDFs or even a physical book.

It's too hard to find things without knowing about them in the first
place. The information (most of it, anyway) is there, but it is not
arranged to be accessible by non-experts quickly.

george woodrow