Re: Re: Solving the system with inexact coefficients

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99504] Re: [mg99484] Re: [mg99335] Solving the system with inexact coefficients
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:31:38 -0400 (EDT)

Semenov's method, which is implemented in my demonstrations

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SemenovsAlgorithmForSolvingSystemsOfNonlinearEquations/

and

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SolvingSystemsOfTranscendentalEquations/

can find (with provable certainty) all the solutions of a system of n-
equations in n-variables that line in an n-dimensional arbitrary
rectangular box. It is only required that the functions defining these
equations have continuous second derivatives - they need not be
analytic. My implementation only deals with the case n=2 or the
complex one dimensional case, but this restriction is only due to the
need of graphical interpretation in a demonstration. The method is
thus considerably more general that Mathematica's Root function. Like
the Root function it can't definitely determine the presence of
multiple roots. It is of course much slower than the built in Root
function, but that's normal for user defined functions.

Andrzej Kozlowski