Re: couple of questions about ListPlot3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99628] Re: couple of questions about ListPlot3D
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 03:31:56 -0400 (EDT)

Luc Barthelet wrote:
> I am using ListPlot3D to build elevation maps with different terrain
> types based on elevation. (to be used in with Google maps).
>

> Question #1: is there an option to prevent blending of MeshShading
> colors?

Yes, there is:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/NormalsFunction.html

Plot3D[x^2 + y^2, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, NormalsFunction -> None,
  Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 5]

But this option affects the way 3D graphics are *rendered*, not their
*structure*.  I assume you are going to export the 3D structure to get
the surface into Google Earth.

> To that extend I am using the directive MeshShading->myMapColors which
> works really well.
>

> This is working well in general, but in one case I need to prevent the
> Antialisaing that is occuring between layers.
>
> I need my final result to only include the colors in the list
> myMapColors and no mixing of those colors.
>

> Of course I have Lighting->{"Ambient",White} .

Though I am not sure that this is what you were asking for.  In this
example I don't see the colours being blended:

ListPlot3D[Table[x^2 + y^2, {x, -1, 1, .25}, {y, -1, 1, .25}],
  MeshShading -> {{Yellow, Orange}, {Pink, Red}}]