Re: copy and paste to other programs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99619] Re: copy and paste to other programs
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 03:22:36 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/7/09 at 6:37 AM, HannesKessler at hushmail.com (Hannes Kessler)
wrote:

>Copy as Metafile disappeared in Mathematica 7. Just copy and paste
>produces crazy fonts when the Powerpoint file is opened on a
>computer without Mathematica. My current workaround is to print the
>Mathematica notebook to a file using a Postscript printer, then to
>convert the printer file to PDF with Acrobat Distiller and to copy
>what is needed from the PDF. This works reliable whereas saving as
>PDF from the Mathematica file menu produces sometimes strange PDF
>output. The workaround takes perhaps 10 x 2 = 20 seconds and creates
>intermediate files which clutter your directories.

Why create a notebook with just the information you want. Then
use Save As selecting the option to save that notebook as a PDF
document? Seems to me this would be more efficient.

>Doing this once is not a problem but preparing a presentation with
>30 slides or just doing a quick change on an existing presentation
>is now a pain.

On my Mac, if I want to change one slide in something I've
already turned to a PDF file, I save the *one* page I want
changed to PDF in Mathematica. I then open the file I want
changed using Preview or any of a number of other third party
utilities for manipulating PDF files, cut the page I want
removed and drag the new page to its place, save the changed
file and I'm done. I assume something equivalent to this can be
done with a PC running Windows.

Alternatively, if it is a small change such as adding a label, I
might just edit the PDF file directly.