Re: math glyphs from non-Mathematica font

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99637] Re: [mg99547] math glyphs from non-Mathematica font
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 05:14:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 9 May 2009 00:53:20 -0400, Shiva Kaul wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM, John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com> wrote:>
> Not sure what characters you're talking about, as they seem to have gotten
>
>> muddled in the post.  But if, for example, you're wanting something
>> like the
>> \[Times] and \[Divide] character to come from another font, I don't
>> believe
>> there's a way to do that.
>>

> Thank you for the clarification. This limitation is understandable since
> Mathematica needs to map various symbols to the nonstandard codepoints in
> the Mathematica fonts. But it also halts basically any attempt at custom
> typesetting.
>

> It seems the only interim solution is to modify the Mathematica fonts.
> Anyone have a mapping from the nonstandard Mathematica glyph codepoints
> to the Unicode codepoints?
>

> Thanks,
> Shiva

I should have said that you can accomplish this by modifying the Mathematica
layout, if that kind of solution is acceptable to you (given that you're
talking about modifying fonts, I'm guessing it is).

You can remove the lines (or comment them out by prefixing them with a percent
sign) for the mapping of any character in the file:

<install=
 directory>/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/UnicodeFontMapping.tr

For the change to take effect, you'll need to wipe your caches, which you
can do by starting Mathematica with the Shift key held down.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group