Re: number dot (with space)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99803] Re: [mg99773] number dot (with space)
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 04:16:58 -0400 (EDT)

It's an approximate (or real) number. The same as -1.0 multiplying g. The
space indicates the multiplication. You might not expect it to be there at
all so that you would get (g + r)^4. You could probably get that if you used
Rationalize on the expression.

Better yet, don't introduce approximate numbers, numbers that have a decimal
point, into your integration at all. Use exact integer or rational numbers
if possible. Once you introduce an approximate number the entire calculation
will be done with approximate numbers.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Emin Gahramanov [mailto:emin.gahramanov at deakin.edu.au]

Hi guys,
sorry for the silly question (I am a Mathematica dummy). I have integrated
out an expression, and I do not know how to interpret the term like this:
(-1. g + r)^4)
What throws me off is "1. g" (g is a parameter), what is that dot after one
 and there is also a SPACE after the dot and before "g" symbol. Sometimes I
 get smth. like "1. r" what is that supposed to mean? If r=2, then how to
 interpret the latter? Is it 1.2?? Or? Thanks.