2D ray tracer

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99856] 2D ray tracer
  • From: jasch at crustal.ucsb.edu
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 05:21:34 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group,

I am looking for something like a 2D ray tracer. Here is the problem:
I have a 2D random field (power spectrum has a decay of 1 or 2, so the
field appears not very smooth) of propagation speeds. For a given start
point (x0,y0) in the field I want to find for each point (x_i,y-i) the
shortest propagation time between (x0,y0) and (x_i,y_i). A typical
dimension for the field would be something like 512 x 256. Is anyone aware
of a 2D raytracer that could be used to get the shortest travel time for
each point? Or does someone maybe have an alternative approach? Preferred
would be something non-commercial (free that is)

Tank you very much

Jan