Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99989] Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

In article <gv0gra$a6f$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu> wrote:

> On May 16, 5:17 am, David Reiss <dbre... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > With the release of Wolfram|Alpha I have created a small tool that
> > allows you to send a query to Wolfram|Alpha directly from
> > Mathematica.
>
> Unfortunately, this is clearly against the terms of use:
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/termsofuse.html

Wolfram|Alpha may or may not be one of the greatest computer tools to
emerge in our time (to be quite honest, I'm frankly hoping it's not).

But this "Terms of Us" document, circa 3000 words long and containing I
believe it's nine links leading to God knows how many additional words
of similar legalese, has to be among the nuttiest, or looniest,
documents appearing on the web in some time.

And it's this general looniness, also exhibited in other recent Terms of
Use on Wolfram websites, not to mention in other broader policies, that
makes me express the unfriendly hope I did above.