Re: Future for Mathematica on Solaris

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99997] Re: [mg99782] Future for Mathematica on Solaris
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 May 2009 01:42:04 -0400 (EDT), Peter Orion wrote:
> I was interested in purchasing a copy of Mathematica for Solaris, but
>
> have seen various things on the net suggesting the Solaris (and to a
> lesser extent linux) versions are more buggy than the Windows version.
>
> Looking on the Wolfram web site where one can request a trial
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/experience/request.cgi
>
> I find one can't request a trail on Solaris from the web site.
>
> So I  contacted Wolfram Research directly by email and asked about a
> 14-day save-disabled trail. I received a reply in a couple of days,
> telling me no trial version of Mathematica exists for Solaris.
>
> Given the Solaris version is more expensive than the windows one,
> there are various reports of bugs on Solaris, and one can't even get a
> trail version, it does beg the question whether Wolfram Research are
> serious about the future of Mathematica on Solaris.
>
> Peter

I'm sure that somebody has already (or will very soon) contacted you, Peter.
But for anybody else who might have been following this, there's a bit more to
say here.  The person you spoke to correctly pointed out that there is no trial
version for Solaris, but didn't realize there was another option which would
have accomplished your goal.  If you're talking to a representative of our salesteam, they can grant a temporary evaluation license.

We're spreading the word internally to make sure that anybody who might be
fielding questions such as this will be aware of the option in the future.
Thanks for mentioning your experience here; otherwise, we might not have been
aware of the oversight.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com