Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100049] Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica
  • From: mark mcclure <mcmcclur at unca.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:48:01 -0400 (EDT)

On May 21, 12:05 am, Bill Rowe <readn... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Have you used David's tool?

Of course.

> Entry of search terms in the tool cause your default web
> browser to launch and send a query to Wolfram|Alpha. ...
> Consequently, it is far from obvious this is against the
> terms of use.

Again, the terms of service state that a conventional web
browser must be used to enter the queries.  If you believe
that Mathematica is a conventional web browser, then you
are correct.

Of course, I'm happy to hear that David received direct
permission from Wolfram Research to create this tool but
the fact that he had to pretty much confirms my point.
That main point has very little to do with this particular
tool. It is, rather, that these terms of service are worth
thinking about because they are likely to have a major
impact on the general utility of Wolfram|Alpha.

Mark