Re: Basic question about Mathematica Interface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100040] Re: Basic question about Mathematica Interface
  • From: Dave Martin <cvk1812 at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:46:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bob

Thanks for your detailed reply. At this point, it seems to me that the solution is too complex. I looked at the Options Inspector, but there were too many things that could be edited there, and I couldn't figure out which one would make all notebooks (new as well as saved) open at a prescribed spot on my screen, with a prescribed window size. I didn't want to make any changes that might break something.

As I understand it, even if I had been successful, this would only fix the notebook window position. The help browser window requires a different fix, and the menu bar position/size is currently not fixable. So I would still have to fiddle around with that stuff no matter what.

Again, I appreciate your help.

I am a new user of Mathematica (having used another system through my school years), and I must confess to being disappointed. I tried Mathematica once before (I think it was at version 6 then, perhaps), only to find that its HTML rendering engine was broken, and notebook files outputted as HTML got truncated. That was a make-or-break feature for me, since I needed to be able to post notebooks as HTML on web pages. I believe they never did get around to fixing that for version 6.

Now we have version 7, in this day and age, acting as if people are still using 800x600 screens with one application open at a time, and it needs to plaster its menu bar way across the whole screen. No application frame, no convenient way to tell windows where to open and how big they should be.

I will try it a bit longer, but I am wondering if this lack of polish extends deeper into the program.

Dave M.