Re: Dynamic performance - input fields slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100160] Re: [mg100105] Dynamic performance - input fields slow
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 05:13:01 -0400 (EDT)

When I copy your DynamicModule example into a fresh notebook, I don't
experience any problem with slow response to typing before or after the plot
is rendered.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: nonaggie at gmail.com [mailto:nonaggie at gmail.com]

Hello,

I'm writing a Dynamic module with 3D graphics and several input
fields.  Once the 3D plot is rendered, simply typing in the input
fields become extremely slow (even though the graphic is not
changing).

Here's a simple example:

DynamicModule[{f, g},
 {InputField[Dynamic[f], FieldSize -> 10],
  InputField[Dynamic[g], FieldSize -> 10],
  Dynamic[Plot3D[f, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}]]
  }
 ]

Initially, both input fields respond quickly to typing.  If I enter
something in the first, like x, then the plot shows, and the input
fields no longer respond quickly to typing.  If I do the same thing
with Manipulate, I don't experience this problem:

Manipulate[
 Plot3D[f, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}],
 {f}, {g}]

I would like to use Dynamic rather than Manipulate because the
eventual UI will be quite a bit more complicated, but I'm not sure
what's causing the slow performance.  Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks!