Re: Bug of NotebookRead

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100187] Re: Bug of NotebookRead
  • From: dbreiss at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 04:09:12 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, I came across this back in Version 6 and reported it to the
WOlfram bugs system.  Following is is the note that I sent them.  In
my experience I have come across this problem only rarely.  But I did
encounter it when working on http://scientificarts.com/worklife which
makes use of lots and lots of tagging.  I think that the workaround
that I may have use for the particular case that I had was to use

FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[notebookObject, "Copy"]]

rather than NotebookRead.  Then I paste the result in an invisible
notebook using (after creating a notebook  InvisibleNotebooksObject
that has the optoin Visible->False)

FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[InvisibleNotebooksObject, "Paste"]]

And then I select all cells in that notebook and do a NotebookRead on
them  (then close the invisible notebook.

In[1]:= $Version

Out[1]= "6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit) (June 19, 2007)"

NotebookRead sometimes does not read its selection

Create the following notebook:

nb = NotebookPut[
  Notebook[{Cell[
     CellGroupData[{Cell["Subsubsection", "Subsubsection"],
       Cell["item 1", "Item"], Cell["item 2", "Item"],
       Cell["item 3", "Item"]}, Open]]}]]

In this notebook select the "Subsubsection" cell and the "item 2"
cell. (Exclude
the "item 1" cell and the "item3" cell.)

Then in a second notebook execute

NotebookRead[nb]

The following corrupted CellGroupData expression results.  Note that
the second
cell apears as a second argument to the CellGroupData rather than as
part of an
element in the list that is the first argument to CellGroupData.

Cell[CellGroupData[{Cell["Subsubsection", "Subsubsection"]},
  Cell["item 2", "Item"]]]

Now select the "Subsubsection" cell,  the "item 2" cell, and  the
"item 3" cell
(exclude the "item 1" cell)

Then in a second notebook execute NotebookRead[nb].

This is the result.

NotebookRead[nb]

Cell[CellGroupData[{Cell["Subsubsection", "Subsubsection"]},
  Cell["item 2", "Item"]]]

Note that the CellGroupData is corrupted as above and that the third
("item 3")
cell does not appear in the expression at all.