comments on Wolfram Alpha

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100305] comments on Wolfram Alpha
  • From: Beliavsky <beliavsky at aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 06:37:02 -0400 (EDT)

input: arima
output: Arima,Trinidad and Tobago
          Population:
          city population | 34997 people
my comment: Nothing about ARIMA time series models, which comes up as
the 3rd link on Google.

input: garch
output: Wolfram|Alpha isn't sure what to do with your input.
           * Did you mean:march
my comment: nothing about GARCH time series models, widely used in
finance

input: united states budget deficit
output: -$347 billion per year (US dollars per year) (2005 estimate)
my comment: Users would want more recent data, such as the 2008
deficit and the estimated 2009 deficit.

Wolfram Alpha appears much less useful than the combination of Google
and Mathematica, so I wonder if resources are better spent adding
functionality to Mathematica.