Re: Bug with Sequence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104633] Re: Bug with Sequence
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 03:51:19 -0500 (EST)

On 2009.11.04. 7:34, dh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has anybody an explanation for the behavior of "Sequence"? I think it is
>
> an ugly bug.
>
> Consider the following that shoud succesively shorten the list t:
>

> t = {1, 2, 3}; j = 0;
>
> While[ ++j<  4, t[[1]] = Sequence[]; Print[t]]
>

> this returns: {2,3} three times.Dropping of the first element only seems
>
> to work once.
>
> If you say Information[t] you get:
>
> t={Sequence[],2,3}

Hi Daniel,

What seems to be happening when

t[[1]] = x

is evaluated is that first x is evaluated, then the first element of t
is changed to (the result of the evaluation of) x.  But t itself does
not go through an evaluation process.  Thus an assignment like t[[1]] is
only capable of changing the first element of t but nothing else.

If we force t to be evaluated in its entirety after every assignment,
then the program will work as expected:

While[ ++j < 4, t[[1]] = Sequence[]; t = t; Print[t]]

The fact that t[[1]] = x type assignments are not able to affect
anything else than the first element is not necessarily a bad thing.
Consider the following (admittedly unusual) example:

u = Unevaluated[{RandomInteger[], RandomInteger[]}]

If u[[1]] = 2 would trigger an evaluation of the entire contents of u,
the second element would change too.  However, I wouldn't expect that to
happen in this particular example.

I hope this helps,
Szabolcs