Re: Undo in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105113] Re: Undo in Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:34:55 -0500 (EST)

brien colwell wrote:
> Just my 2 cents ... the practical lack of undo is one of the major
> thorns my team has with developing in M. The other major thorns are with
> the IDE/notebook editor itself, which would benefit from listing the
> source file and line number where error messages are generated, linking
> symbols to their source-code declarations, listing available symbols for
> "smart completion,"  and tighter integration with the debugger.
>
> The Eclipse-based workbench seems a promising replacement for the
> notebook editor, but my understanding is that the workbench currently is
> not as interactive as the notebook editor.
>
> I am really curious how people develop large libraries in M.

I appreciate what you say, but I find a reasonable solution is to work
with .m (package) files, which can be edited within Mathematica. It is
possible to split the code into sections with headings, just as if
editing a notebook, and when the result is stored to disk, the heading
information is stored as comments. This editing experience is remarkably
good (despite the lack of a proper UNDO!).

If I get an error when the package is read in, and the location is not
obvious, I open the .m file with a regular text editor to locate the
line from the number in the error message. This is not ideal, but I
don't find I need to do this often. Alternatively, it is possible to
execute the .m file from within the FE and look for the message.

One of the biggest problems with Eclipse, is that it does not show all
the extra Mathematica characters. I feel WRI have rather split their
effort between the FE and Eclipse - which is unfortunate.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk