confused about == vs === in this equality

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103732] confused about == vs === in this equality
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 05:35:38 -0400 (EDT)

?===
lhs===rhs yields True if the expression lhs is identical to rhs, and yields
False otherwise.

?==
lhs==rhs returns True if lhs and rhs are identical.

But looking at this example:

a = ComplexInfinity;
 If[a == ComplexInfinity, Print["YES"]]

Expecting it would print "YES", but it does not. it just returns the whole
thing unevaluated? But

If[a === ComplexInfinity, Print["YES"]]

does return YES.

I guess I am a little confused about the "expression" bit in the definition.

So, when using the 3"=", it is looking at the _value_ of the expression, but
when using the 2"=", it is looking at the expression _as it is_, i.e.
without evaluating it?  Is this the difference?  I've always used the 2"="
for equality, now I have to be more careful which to use.

--Nasser

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4478 (20091003) __________

http://www.eset.com